Alberta Car Insurance
In Alberta there are around 70 car insurance companies.
They compete to get clients by offering different prices, coverage and services. Anyone who wants to drive a vehicle in Alberta must by the law buy some Alberta vehicle insurance. They can buy more down the road to meet their specific needs. Having the right Alberta auto insurance coverage is important for anyone who relies on their vehicle to get around. If an Albertan gets into an accident and can’t work they are protected financially if they hurt anyone and get sued.
There have actually been changes to Alberta’s auto insurance that has helped to improve the cost and the coverage. However, there is still more that is being done to make sure that all Albertans are getting the best possible coverage at a good price.
The mandatory coverage in Alberta contains:
- Third party liability
- uninsured motorist coverage
- accident benefits
Third party liability is when your insurer defends you if you are in a civil law suit and will make the payment required by the law for you up to the amount listed in your policy. The minimum for this is $200,000 but most drivers choose $1 million.
With uninsured motorist coverage you can collect directly from the insurer when the third party has no insurance or can’t be acknowledged.
Accident benefits occur when you or another person can get benefits if you are in an accident, no matter who was at fault and it helps to cover a part of the overall expenses.
Here are some tips to help you save on your Alberta car insurance:
- practice good driving habits
- before buying a new vehicle compare insurance prices and make sure you can afford it
- purchase your home and auto insurance at the same broker. With multiple policies you could get some discounts
- put an anti theft device in your vehicle
- enrol any teenage drivers in a driver’s education course lowering your insurance and stress
- if you have a good driving record you can reduce your auto insurance premiums in asking for a higher deductible.
It is fast and easy to compare Alberta auto insurance quotes online. Before you choose an insurance company you have to do your research. You have to contact a few companies and ask put together a list of questions you want answered. There are many car insurance companies that will try to sell you more products that you don’t need so make sure you understand all these add-ons. If you don’t then simply ask. Do compare Alberta auto insurance quotes because car insurance can be costly and different companies’ offer different pricing.
Here are some of the questions you could be asked when getting an Alberta auto insurance online quote:
- your name
- your address
- how long have you lived at your location
- number of claims made in the last 3 years
- number of accidents in last 3 years
- number of convictions
- does the driver have at least 5 years driving
- what make is your car, year, model, mileage etc
- your employment
You need to shop around in Alberta and find the right coverage and price that suits your needs. It is very important to have auto insurance coverage in Alberta in case of any kind of accident. It will save you a lot of money.
Andrei Zakhareuski is the founder of Find-a-driving-school.ca. He has been writing for beginner Canadian drivers for several years.
Connect with Andrei at Google+