NorthWest Territories Driver’s License Procedure

Steps to get your Graduated Driver’s license (Class 7 & 5) in North West Territories (NWT)

NWT has a Graduated Driver Licensing program (or “GDL” for short). It consists of 2 stages.

Stage One NWT Learner’ License

To obtain a Learners License in NWT you must:

  • be 15 years of age or older
  • pass a vision screening and a knowledge test on the rules of the road
  • valid identification

Learner’s conditions

  • Must hold a Learners License (Class 7) for at least one year.
  • Must drive with a fully licensed driver, who has a minimum of 24 months experience with a full Class 5 license.
  • Not permitted to drive from 11:00 p.m. to 6 a.m.
  • Cannot have any passengers other than the supervisor.
  • Accumulation of 6 or more demerit points, the Registrar shall suspend the Driver’s License.
  • Have a zero alcohol level.
  • If learning to drive a motorcycle, you must be 15 years of age and are not permitted to drive from 11:00 p.m. to 6 a.m. You must be accompanied by a fully licensed (non-GDL probationary) driver who has a minimum of 24 months experience with a full Class 6 license and is either seated on the motorcycle with you or is following you in or on another motor vehicle.

Stage Two NWT GDL Probationary (Class 5)

To become a probationary driver in North West Territories you must:

  • Be 16 years of age or older.
  • Have completed the 12-month Learner Stage
  • Pass the standard Northwest Territories Class 5 road test.


Probationary conditions

  • Must spend a minimum of one year as a probationary driver.
  • No more than one passenger in the front seat and no more passengers than seat belts.
  • Accumulation of 6 or more demerit points, the Registrar shall suspend the Drivers License.
  • Have a zero alcohol level.
  • No upgrading to a commercial license (Classes 1, 2, 3 or 4).
  • Cannot serve as an accompanying driver to a learner.

Stage Three NWT Non-probationary License (Full Class 5)

To become a fully licensed driver you must:

  • Be 17 years of age or older.
  • Have fewer than 6 demerit points.
  • It will take a minimum of two years to complete both the learners and Probationary stages of Graduated Driver Licensing.
  • If you apply and upgrade to a Motorcycle License (Class 6) from your Class 7 (stage one) license, you are subject to the same conditions of the Graduated Driver Licensing Program. Therefore, your Class 6 would be a stage two GDL probationary license and you would be required to hold it for twelve months before applying for your stage three non-probationary license (Full Class 6).

What to bring to the driving test center in NTW:

When applying for a Northwest Territories Driver’s License, you must show proof of identification. You must bring one proof of identification to show Legal name, Date of birth, Photo ID and Proof of residency. Following are acceptable documents.

To show legal name, Date of birth and Photo ID

  • Canadian Passport
  • Foreign Passport (with appropriate Government of Canada
  • immigration documents proving right to be in Canada)
  • Native Status Card from INAC (DIAND)
  • Government of Canada Permanent Residency Card
  • Government of Canada Citizenship Card
  • Government of Canada Military ID / DL
  • Federal Police ID / DL

To show only legal name and Date of birth

  • Birth Certificate
  • Court Order with Court Seal AND date of birth
  • Record of Landing (Form IMM 1000)
  • Study Permit (Form IMM 1442)
  • Work Permit (Form IMM 1442)
  • Visitor’s Record (Form IMM 1442)
  • Refugee Approved Status (Form IMM 1442)
  • Temporary Resident Permit (Form IMM 1442)

To show only Photo ID

  • Canadian Driver’s License
  • Canadian General Identification Card
  • Native Status Card (not from DIAND / INAC)
  • GNWT Employee ID card
  • Guarantor Form

To show Proof of Residency

  • Bank Statement identifying residential address
  • Canada Pension Plan (CPP) benefit statement
  • Employment Insurance (EI) benefit statement
  • Federal Widow / Widower benefit statement
  • Lease Agreement identifying residential address
  • Letter from Employer on letterhead (must state employee’s residential address)
  • Mortgage Agreement identifying residential address
  • NWT Student Financial Assistance (SFA)
  • Pay Stub identifying residential address
  • Personal Tax Statement identifying residential address
  • Property Tax Statement
  • Signed Note from landlord, roommate, spouse, parent, or guardian accompanied by their proof of residency
  • Utility Bill identifying residential address
  • Veteran’s benefit statement
  • Welfare benefit statement
  • Canadian Birth Certificate (sorry, a baptismal certificate or certificate of Live Birth is not acceptable)

For NWT road test

  • Make an appointment to take the test at any Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office and pay the prescribed fees.
  • Present the receipt to the driver examiner before the test is given.
  • Have a vehicle that qualifies for the license Class you are being tested for.
  • Wear corrective lenses if required.
  • The examiner will check your vehicle before the test. If it is not mechanically safe, the examiner will refuse the test. If a vehicle is required to display dangerous goods placards, it cannot be used for the road test.
  • The vehicle for your road test must be in acceptable working condition and must have a valid license plate and insurance

Requirements for getting the driving license in NWT

  • The applicant must be 16 years for learners license
  • The applicant must pass road test and written knowledge test
  • The applicant is required to have a vision test before he gets NWT driver’s license

Fees required for getting the NWT Driver’s license

  • 5 year driver’s license is $87.60

Website for NWT practice questions and NWT driver handbook online

Website and phone for NWT Driver’s Test Center