Ontario: New Driver’s Licence Makes Travel To U.S. A Little Easier

licence Heading south of the border won’t be such a pain anymore if you’ve forgotten your passport. In an idea first proposed in 2007, the McGunity government confirmed Tuesday that Ontarians will be given the option of applying for an Enhanced Driver’s Licence that can be used instead.
Not everyone can get it though. You must already have a valid Ontario driver’s licence, be a resident of the province, and be free of any travel restrictions. And you’ll have to book an appointment with ServiceOntario to fill out some forms.
The first booking is May 19th and you’ll have to make your way to one of nine locations (Thunder Bay, Sault Ste. Marie, Windsor, St. Catharines, Toronto Downtown, North York, Kingston, Cornwall and Ottawa), and shell out 40 bucks just to apply. If for some reason you don’t qualify, you won’t get your money back.

The EDL doesn’t completely replace a passport -- you’ll still need it when you’re flying. But while on land or water, it will be enough to get you into the States.

The new licence will be sporting a couple of additions: a citizen identifier, an optical character recognition and a radio frequency identification technology chip.

If you do meet all the criteria, you’ll be able to get the new licence as soon as June 1st. It’s good for five years.
To get the forms click here or call (416) 235-2999 for more information.