Quebec Drivers License
Steps to get your Driver’s license (Class 5) in Quebec
Quebec has Class 5 license. It consists of 5 steps.
· Registering for the driving course
· Getting a learner’s license
· Passing the knowledge test
· Passing the road test
· Getting a probationary license
Step 1: Registering for the driving course in Quebec
· The first step is to register for the driving course at a driving school recognized by the Association québécoise du transport et des routes (AQTR). The passenger vehicle driving course is mandatory, and includes both theoretical and practical components.
· You are required to successfully complete phase 1 of the driving course, which includes five theoretical modules, before getting your learner’s license.
Step 2: Getting a learner’s license in Quebec
· Be 16 years of age or older.
· Have the written consent of a person having parental authority if you are under age 18.
· You must show identification to get learner’s license. Show two pieces of identification, including one with photo
· First identification
If you were born in Quebec
· The original of your birth certificate issued by the registrar of civil status (Directeur de l’état civil) after January 1, 1994 (a certificate of birth issued by a parish or by the Ministère de la Justice is not accepted);
· A Canadian passport;
· A Canadian Armed Forces identity card;
· A Certificate of Indian Status.
If you were born elsewhere:
· The original of a birth certificate issued by a Canadian province/ territory;
· A Canadian Citizenship Certificate with photo;
· Confirmation of permanent residence and a Permanent Resident Card;
· Other proof of legal presence in Canada.
· Second identification document
· Your health insurance card;
· A licence authorizing you to drive a vehicle.
· Provide the original of the signed Consent of a Person Having Parental Authority form if you are under age 18;
· Provide a duly completed certificate that confirms that you successfully completed phase 1 of the driving course, which includes five theoretical modules;
· Fill out the SAAQ’s Declaration of Illness or Impairment form and meet the medical requirements;
· Pass the SAAQ’s vision test;
· Pay the licence fee
Step 3: Pass the knowledge test
Step 4: Pass the road test
Step 5: Getting a probationary license
· The probationary license, which is valid for 24 months, comes with a set of restrictions that distinguishes you from other drivers. Probationary license holders must have fewer than 4 demerit points entered on their driving record and are prohibited from driving after drinking alcohol. In addition, they may not serve as an accompanying rider to assist a learner.
· After the 24-month period has elapsed, you may get a class 5 driver’s licence.
What to bring to the test center in Quebec:
For knowledge test
· Your learner’s license;
· Your identity card issued by the SAAQ (if one was issued);
· One of the pieces of identification required on the day you were issued your learner’s licence.
For road test
· The original of a new signed Consent of a Person Having Parental Authority form if you are under age 18;
· A duly completed certificate attesting that you successfully completed the driving course;
· A valid and signed registration certificate and proof of liability insurance for the vehicle you will be using during the road test;
· Payment in cash, by cheque or with a debit card (except in mobile service units) to pay for:
§ the test fee;
§ the licence fee.
· Prepare two separate cheques.
· The SAAQ will not provide you with a passenger vehicle for the road test. It is your responsibility to report to your road test with a vehicle in good mechanical condition. If you rent a vehicle, you will be required to show the rental contract or payment receipt before taking the road test.
Requirements for getting the license
· The applicant must be 16 years for learners license
· The applicant must pass road test and written knowledge test
Fees required for getting the license in Quebec
Learner’s license fees: $59.97 (valid for 18 months)
Knowledge test fees: $10
Road test fees: $25
Probationary license fees: $177.97 (Based on validity period)
Regular license fees: $95.97 (Per year)
Quebec Drivers Handbook and Sample Practice Test Online
Website and phone for Quebec driving test center
Contact customer service
· Québec (city and vicinity) 418 643-7620
· In Montréal: 514 873-7620
· From elsewhere: 1 800 361-7620